A Happy Camper

Two One young and inexperienced vegetarian with a dog and no money attempting to hike 1600 1300 miles through continental America's most rugged and diverse terrain.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Progress Report...

We arrived at the Saufley's a few days ago with intention to continue on after a short visit - into the Mojave desert and on to resupply number two. However, last night, as Jeff Saufley wrapped my ankles in bandages, I wondered if the next morning, this morning, would actually be the morning we left. I was pretty determined, upon laying my tired head to a pillow, to wake up early, and wake Trip up and at least get a little bit of mileage in today, even if it was only ten miles or so. In the middle of the night, at 3:15 actually, I woke up in incredible agony that brought tears to my eyes. For unknown reasons, my ankle had once again waited till nightfall to act up, except this time the pain throbbed like a broken bone throughout my entire foot and shin, even up my calf. After unwrapping a bandage that had suddenly become much tighter than before (swelling), I laid back down and tried to elevate it, comlpletely down by this point that my body is so beaten after only a week of travelling. Upon waking this morning, I realized that we would indeed not be leaving yet, and even after this realization, my other foot and shin stopped me in my tracks during a short 20 foot walk to the hiker boxes - excruciating pain that burnt my muscles like they were ripping from their mounts.

I am, once again, worrying - by the time I get to my feet reliably again, I fear I will have to re-train my body how to walk many miles in a day. My shoulders are settling into the idea of zero burden, and my ankles are constantly warning me, "...Don't you dare..."

On the bright side, my wrist wound is not Lyme disease, for anyone who cared about the inverse.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

again....(cough cough) man up

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home